Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Article on the State of the Market and Higher Education

I was out of town for a few days and am immensely tired today, so I don't have much time for insightful commentary or discussion today. However, I did run across this article today, entitled "Faulty Towers: The Crisis in Higher Education," and wanted to post a link to it so you all can read it (Interestingly, it was posted to Facebook by one of my graduate student friends ... perhaps others in my program are considering other options???)

It's a piece from The Nation, discussing at length a number of problems with the system of higher education in the United States today - from the terrible job market across multiple fields, to the growing proportion of classes being taught by adjunct and contingent faculty, to the sluggish response by graduate programs and universities.

I haven't had a chance to read it in much depth or formulate clear thoughts yet, but later this week I plan to read it in more detail and post some thoughts. In the meantime, I thought I'd link to this just in case anyone reading might find it useful, or have any comments or thoughts to add.

----------

In other news - I had a phone interview for the job I mentioned in an earlier post. It seemed to go fairly well, although I'm not entirely sure I would want the position if offered. Still, it was great to get the experience and the small ego boost from being a semifinalist for a position. It helps me think that perhaps this whole "leaving academia" thing was a good move, after all.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that article, too, via this post at More or Less Bunk and will probably have soemthing to say about it later, too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete